Time flew by and all the sudden we were moving the next day. All the packing (or unpacking in Lucy's case) was finished--thanks to our awesome ward and friends. Unfortunately, it still turned into a stressful nightmare the day before we moved. The handful of things we had left to do seemed to take so much longer than we had planned. I ended up staying awake until 3 a.m. cleaning, then had to be at the airport with Lucy just a couple hours later to catch a flight to Utah. When I got on the plane, I thought I would be so sad that I was leaving Florida. Instead, I almost cried because I was so relieved that I was leaving the moving stress behind. I felt so bad for Mark because he was still in the moving stress.
This one is of Lucy during packing time. I am glad someone enjoyed it. Lucy always seemed to be having the time of her life, pulling out all the items in the boxes so she could sit in them. ;)

Looking back, I think we were crazy. During all the stress of the last day, I talked Mark into driving to the beach while our carpets were drying after being cleaned so we could see it one last time. It was really pretty that day but I still think I would have rather had one more hour of sleep that night instead.
Mark took the brunt of our moving stress. After I left, he still had to finish the cleaning among other things. He didn't end up leaving until a day later since there was so much still to do. We were lucky to have his brother Darin fly out and drive with him across the country. What a selfless brother Mark has.
The journey to Colorado went pretty well until Mark arrived at the apartment we were supposed to rent. We were told we were moving into a remodeled apartment that had been repainted and new appliances etc. When Mark walked in, it smelled like smoke and a dog. It was terrible timing because the elders quorum in our new ward was supposed to help us move in and the office to the apartment complex had already closed. Along with those problems, it was hard to find a hotel in Denver that night because of all the people from Colorado Springs that were there because of the fires. Luckily, Mark found one room left at a Holiday Inn. He said the room smelled like weed...so that's good. We were pretty discouraged that night as neither of us had any idea where to live and we had a huge truck waiting to be unpacked.
That night I was searching on Trulia for rentals and saw the same townhouse we had called about renting about two months earlier. The landlord had said that he wouldn't rent to us because he couldn't meet us and he already had a lot of interest. That was that and we forgot about it. I told Mark it was back up on Trulia and he called on it again the next morning. Apparently, the landlord had had renters who moved in for a couple of weeks and then couldn't pay the rent so they had to move out. Mark went over to see it that day, loved it, luckily was able to make an internet transaction for the deposit (since it was Sunday), and moved in that afternoon. We felt very blessed. This place was my first pick out of all the places we looked at. I couldn't believe we were that lucky with the timing of it becoming available again. The landlord said he had just posted it the Friday before and already had renters that said they wanted it but hadn't paid the deposit yet. Heaven was definitely watching out for us this time because that was just way too lucky.
Now we are Coloradans instead of Floridians. It is definitely a big change that we are still getting used to. It is nice to be closer to family, see the mountains, and have people be nice again when we go to the store etc, but we still miss our friends, ward, and little condo. That was such a fun stage of life. Hopefully I will be saying that about this stage of life in a couple of years too.


No comments:
Post a Comment